Westerville’s Original Hometown Bakery
Schneider’s Bakery bagan in the mid-fifties in the basement of a grocery store which was the current location of Jimmy-V’s restaurant. The baked goods were transported upstairs by a dumb-waiter where they were displayed in two cases and offered for purchase by the grocery store.
The Bakery was originally started by Carl Schneider, but he developed an allergy to flour and the bakery was taken over by Floyd Schneider in 1957. He moved across the street to the current location it is still at today, 6 South State Street, Westerville, Ohio.
In 1974 Mr. Schneider hired Jeff Hamler as the “clean-up boy”. A short time later Jeff began working in the bakery’s production. He felt it was a job he liked and would be good at and learned everything he could from Mr. Schneider. Jeff decided to make a career in baking and attended The American Institute of Baking located on Kansas State University’s campus. He graduated in 1978 and returned to work for Mr. Schneider when told that he could purchase the business when Mr. Schneider retired.
Jeff and Debbie Hamler became owners of the bakery on January 1, 1987.
6 South State St.
Credit cards not accepted.